From:
Judie LC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 09:37:14 -0700
The keratin (also called the "Braziian") hair straightening process is really not in the category of routine straightening and hair dyes that are applied to the scalp and not absorbed through the skin.As Jennifer Tow pointed out in her post on this question, "This product is indeed very dangerous. Many refuse to use it b/c you need a vapor capture system and so many clients have had adverse reactions while it is being applied and on the following day."I researched Brazilian Keratin straightening for a mother several years ago. The process uses formaldehyde, a known carcinogen. The outgassing poses a risk of serious inhaled exposure to this toxic chemical. According to a news report on the CBS Early Show around the time I was researching this issue, the chemicals painted on the hair can continue to break down for a while after it is applied. Personally, I wouldn't have the treatment under any circumstances. A friend of mine who had it confirmed that it
 uses formaldehyde and says she won't be repeating the treatment.It is alternately called the Brazilian, the Keratin, or the Brazilian Keratin hair straightening method. It may have other names as well.Here's a link to the CBS Early Show report on this subject, which appeared in 2007: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/26/earlyshow/health/main3414868.shtmlMy personal feeling is that I would warn breastfeeding and pregnant women away from this type of hair-straightening treatment, and I would advise her to thoroughly investigate the chemicals being used in any hair care treatment she is considering using.All the best,Judie Gibel, RN, MSc, IBCLC, LLL Leader