Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 06:23:47 EDT
I have had this experience myself more than once. A  couple of times it was a
customer who came into my store with a Lactina.
I try to ask in general conversation how or where  the customer got the pump.
Reason being , most people just don't buy them. I can usually find out if the
pump is legitimately owned by the mom or her friend. If it is unclear to me
...I simply ck the serial # and then call Medela or Ameda to see if the pump
is on their 'missing in action' list.
Medela usually asks for the persons address etc. so, you'll have to try to
get this info. Then they will contact them, letting them know that  they are
in possession of  stolen property.
I recently had this experience with a nurse who gave the pump she had "found"
to her daughter to use. I told the nurse that the pump was the property of
Medela and that she should return it when she was done using it. I gave her
Medela's phone number and asked her to call them. (I assume that she did the
right thing and called.)
OH! One time a mom came in with a pump that she said she bought at a yard
sale!! I think it was one of the Brown Ameda pumps! I called it right in.
Turns out it was last rented out of a rental station in NY ( I am in
Michigan!). And, never returned to the station.  I would appreciate it if
someone found my lost pumps!
Diane Barnes
Maternal Expressions Metro Detroit