From:
Carmela Baeza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:40:54 +0200
Hi again,
I have just read Nikki Lee´s very interesting letter to the editor on
the last JHL "Cycle of seeking, emotional outburst and rest in newborns
put to the breast" were she tells of her experience that newborn babies
start to seek the breast, then have some emotional outburst (attach for
a suck or two, then dettach and start crying) and then rest, and repeat
this cycle a few times. As if telling the story of their birth. At the
end of her letter Nikki asks if anyome has observed this.
I wanted to comment that I loved this letter because yes, I have often
observed this, specially after long, difficult births. When the baby is
doing the suck or two - dettach and cry cycle, usually the mom looks up
at me worriedly, but I just look at the baby and tell him softly
something like "thats right, tell your mommy about it, tell her what you
went through because she loves you and she wants to listen. She knows
this is a new situation for you, its ok, she´s here". And usually the
mom picks up and starts saying things like "tell me, my sweetheart, tell
me, its ok..." and similar. That way she becomes supportive and sure of
herself during her newborn´s emotional outburst. I began to do this
intuitively, to interpret that this behavior by the newborn was some
outlet for the difficult moment and strange new sorroundings and have
found that it helps moms to understand whats happening - even though I
have no evidence to explain the reason for this newborn behavior.

Thanks, Nikki!

Warmly,
Kika

--