From:
Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:07:19 -0400
Hi. I have a mom with a 13 month old and she wants to wean her. She is day
weaned but having a lot of trouble with night weaning. She has talked to
doctor after doctor and LC after LC for many months. Her baby has been
diagnosed with a protein allergy so is taking a med for that and reflux and
taking Zantac for that.  She wakes up many times a night and is fussy a
lot.  She  sleeps with mom at night.  She does not have reflux symptoms
during the day anymore, but mom was wondering if the very frequent
breastfeeding and lying down position at night was causing the reflux
symptoms and therefore frequent waking.

Her baby is 23 pounds and developmentally advanced. Crawling at 5 months
and walking early and talking well already.  A psychologist she saw said
baby is definitely high needs.  I asked mom about sensory issues such as
how she handles situations and things such as noise and touch.  It seems
like some babies who are developmentally advanced and "high need" seem to
have other issues that may come across as physical problems. Or maybe it is
the other way around.

Mom has tried eliminating some foods from her diet, but she did not see an
improvement.  She has been told by numerous people to just continue to
nurse during the night, but she does not want to anymore. In a way I agree
with her. Usually co-sleeping and nursing at night results in a more
peaceful nights sleep, but for this mom it does not work.

I am not sure which direction to go with this.  I see no easy way to wean
this baby at night.  It seems like there is more than one issue here that
mom is dealing with.  I thought I would post this to see if anyone has
suggestions on what I should focus on or if you have any ideas on other
questions I could ask this mom in order to narrow this down.  Thanks again.

Christine Lichte,  LLL Leader, CBE,