From:
Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:19:11 -0500
Hello. We are working on implementing sts at our hospital and it is going fairly
well. The nurses have had some positive experiences so that has helped.
Today, one of the nurses commented that baby's temp was low so she put
baby under warmer and wrapped im in a warm blanket. I mentioned that she
could have tried sts. She said she felt she needed to do something right away
because the rectal temp was 96.8 (full-term, 8.5 pound healthy baby) and she
didn't want to do sts. She said mom could do sts once the temp. was up. I did
not take the conversation further because I want to give her good info. not
just me disagreeing with her.  Baby's temp. came up fine with the warm
blankets and warmer so wouldn't sts still have been the best intervention?  I
think so, but I just wanted to run it by all of you.  The nurses like the idea of
sts, but they don't see it as a medical intervention.  They still have the mind
set that it is a good thing to do as long as baby is doing well first. I just need
some moral support so I can address this. Thanks for your help.

Chrisitne Lichte, IBCLC