From:
Kelly Vackert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 14:07:50 -0400
Hello Lactnetters,

Does anyone know where one would obtain a Student Professional Liability
Policy for a student LC?  Marsh Affinity Group Services denied my application
since I was not affiliated with a school curriculum.  However, in the interim I
sent a letter of appeals along with my Health-eLearning Student Record in
hopes they can approve this as affiliation with a school.  Marsh has since
contacted me stating they would be sending my appeals to the carrier and
asked if I was certified in the health profession (as in an RN, CLC, etc.) -
which I am not....but if I was then that would be no problem to get a policy.
How do they expect a student LC to obtain her hours to become a IBCLC if
she can't find coverage.  : (

I've contacted some others from the Lactnet archives from several years back
about getting their student policy through Marsh and found out recently,
there are two other student LC's who applied and were denied.  However,
after further follow-up with Marsh, the one student did get a policy.  (And
believe me, I followed-up at least 5 times since they've had my application!)

I've contacted CNMF (insurance through ILCA/USLCA) and they do not write
policies for students at this time, however the gentleman I talked with said
they were looking into it.  That would be wonderful and I am going to contact
them in writing to express how important this is, so future student LCs won't
have the problem I am in right now.

I will be working with my mentor at a hospital and I need to obtain a liability
policy....does anyone have any other information on Insurance carriers who
offer this?  Any resources would be greatly appreciated.

Warmly,
Kelly Vackert