From:
Debbie Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2016 17:42:00 -0500

Not sure where to even start, but I'll give it a shot:

<<<<I actually thought the article was an excellent wake-up  call for us as
lactation consultants. I see many women who suffer from  depression,
feelings of inadequacy, and anxiety over their ability to  breastfeed.>>>>

Do you mean their *Inability?...or maybe *Unwillingness?

<<<<We are not miracle workers>>>>

speak for yourself

 <<<<and sometime breastfeeding exclusively is just not  possible.>>>>

less than 2-3% of women worldwide, ...they can't all be in your
neighborhood or my neighborhood

<<<<I wonder if sometimes the older generation of lactation  consultants
were either blessed with a mostly trouble-free adjustment  period>>>>

this would be hil-ar-ious, ...if not for being so frightfully  uninformed

<<<<or are just forgetting the stress, the exhaustion, the  pain, and the
confusion of that first few months of newly found  motherhood.>>>>

besides Not forgetting, who do you think LCs work with everyday?...to
clarify, the answer is: new moms who are stressed, exhausted, in pain, and
confused

<<<<I think the best way to be successful-- and ensure the best  possible
outcomes for moms AND babies-- is to support mothers in their decision
without judgment and paternalistic (maternalistic)  attitudes.>>>>

gently conveying the truth that breastfeeding and/or breastmilk  feeding is
Best, for a myriad of reasons, is not the same as being  paternalistic

<<<<Yes, breast milk and breastfeeding have amazing health  benefits. But
when it is not working for either physiological or psychological  reasons, we
should not assume that the benefit of breast milk outweighs the  damage to
mom's psyche and confidence as a mother.>>>>

How does helping her fail boost her confidence as a mother?

<<<< Breastfeeding can be one of life's greatest  experiences.>>>>

Please read Pam's post regarding the purpose of Bf

<<<<But the sad truth is that it just isn't for some  mothers.>>>>

but the sad truth is: waaay too often it's by choice, ...wrong  choice,
poor judgement, self-centered, uneducated, not supported,  surrounded by
ignorant health care providers

<<<<I hope that we can support all mothers in any way we can.  And for a
mother who is in severe pain, does not feel bonded to her baby, or  simply
does not enjoy breastfeeding, I feel it is our duty to support her by  giving
her permission to NOT breastfeed.>>>>

Giving her permission to Not Bf would Not be my first thoughts or actions,
they would be more along the lines of:

Fix the pain (over the years you will often hear the words "miracle
-worker")
Help fix the bonding, along with other Bf educated HCPs
Help mom learn to enjoy Bf, or at least pumping to provide EBM

Debbie Tobin, RN, BSN
IBCLC 20 yrs
Northern Virginia