From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 19:58:25 -0600
It would not hurt to do a trial with another style or type of pump
(Symphony or Classic). I would recommend that someone check her pump
with vacuum gauges and make sure it is working properly. These are
available from the pump manufacturer. Ideally, rental pumps are checked
each time they are returned to the pump depot. Pump manufacturers give
the ranges of adequate suction for their pumps.  The other important
thing is that her flanges are big enough, which you said she is using
already.  Make sure she is taking the right doses of domperidone,
fenugreek and blessed thistle.

As an aside, I find in my practice that when moms have a rough birth and
get started pumping late or not enough times in 24 hours, they often do
not do as well as those that start on day one or two and do 8 times in
24 hours.

It is always worth a try to change to another style of pump. The mothers
that I work with generally do not do well on the Symphony in the
hospital (meaning getting nothing or just drops on day 3-4 but ounces
the first time we have them use another pump loaned by our WIC agency).
It could be that no one shows them how to use the Symphony pump
properly. Some of my mothers crank up the suction really high to
compensate for getting no milk out. Or it could be that I am the first
to give them large enough flanges.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC