From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 15:38:27 -0700
I believe this article represents the paradox of breastfeeding support for
those who come into contact with mothers.  We must acknowledge the facts
that this article brings up.  Breastfeeding can be complicated in our
society.  We have many barriers that are out of our control BUT
acknowledging where we are in this problem will bring us more support and
establish consensus on the issue.  Breastfeeding is the superior form of
nutrition for babies.  Sometimes it's so easy other times for whatever
reason it's very hard, takes a tremendous effort and lots of guidance.  We
have some very knowledgeable people some who think they know and don't! and
we simply don't have enough knowledgeable people to go around.  and I may
get flamed here but babies do survive on the other stuff. Mothers have to be
good mothers first.  We are here to support and guide mothers in this first
step in mothering if it means they aren't breastfeeding, thats her choice,
regardless.  That is what Drs. are telling us.  Our support for her will
give her strength and the base for her future job unconditionally...so she
can give the same to her child.  WE NEED...more information out to the
public, we need to see infants breastfeeding without fear or embarrassment,
peds. and other Drs. offering help and resourses, hospitals that have no
ties to formula co.  We need lactation consultants for every mom.  We can
all add to this list.

Linda M. Rosetti