From:
Casi Leahy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:08:38 -0400
The nurse's greatest role is that of a patient advocate.  Nurses do not blindly
follow orders to do so would be negligent and conflict our nursing standards of
practice, we are to assess patient needs, educate them based on their needs,
and implement treatment plans that are mutually agreed upon between the
patient and ourselves.

Becoming an IBCLC is something that I will never regret.  I always loved the
fact that working as a lactation consultant allowed me to focus on all the
things I loved best about nursing, particularly patient advocacy.  It is a nice
fit.

As with any profession and with any relationship, two people will not always
agree.  If a disagreement arises between me and a colleague or doctor, my
goal is still patient advocacy and always education.  This is best achieved
through professional, courteous, and respectful dialogue.  However, ultimately
it is the patient who makes the decision.  Patients have a right to REFUSE any
treatment.  Guiding the patient through their decision making process via
education and support is the most effective way to change practice.

Educating the families you work with enables them to make educated informed
choices; therefore, THEY have the power to "conflict" their health care
professional's advice or order not you (you only provided them the information
needed for them to make their OWN decisions). It is all in the perception (or
semantics)  we can not tell anyone what to do, they must make the decision
on their own, but to do so they must be educated informed consumers.