From:
Sharon Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 10:42:25 -0500
        Please allow me to introduce myself.  I have been lurking for months
now, but I feel I can lend a bit of expertise to this subject.  I work as a
research nurse for a Neonatologist at the Univ of Wisconsin, who is
considered one of the leading experts in the US on Vit K and infants.We have
published several studies on the subject, with more in press.  '
        In lay terms, Vit K is a necessasry ingredient in blood clotting
factors, and since Coumadin is an anticoagulant, ingesting foods rich in Vit
K is contraindicated for those taking Coumadin for blood clots.  While
research is continuing, the major group of foods known to be loaded with Vit
K are green leafy vegetables.  Referring any BFing mom to a nutritionist for
which specific foods to specifically avoid would be a good idea.  But if
Blessed Thistle (I couldn't find references specifically to this in print)
has Vit K , it would be best to avoid. Find another method to increase milk
supply, but don't second guess the contraindication.
        Any further questions, or need for specific references are welcome
to E-Mail me privately.  We have a copy of the newest list of VitK content
in foods developed her at UW.

Sharon Marshall, BSN,RN (also anxiously waiting IBLCE test results)