From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:50:59 EST
In a message dated 11/11/2006 8:23:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
" What is going on with the clinical situation that a newborn would have to
thus enticed to do what all its reflexes are programming it to do?"

...brings up even more of what is frustrating us all...that there are SO
MANY things that are "going on" with the clinical situation that is WRONG
that we can't address for THIS mother and baby!
Sooo Skin to skin and "nothing on the nipple" is the FIRST step - but we
need to have in our "bag of tricks" as many tools as possible.  Every time I
go to a conference or read Lactnet I learn another one - for this I thank
you all.
Dear Friends:
    About the bag of tricks. I wonder if the idea that LCs need a bag of
tricks to help breastfeeding actually helps breastfeeding in the long run.
    Instead of working hard to collect various tricks and tips, couldn't we
refer babies to pediatric providersd if they can't or won't suck? If there are
enough referrals, and pediatric providers become overwhelmed with babies that
can't or won't suck, won't people start to connect the dots between routine
technology and injured babies?
    When LCs take care of as much as possible, perhaps we are missing an
opportunity to let a dreadful situation be uncovered.
    Yes, we have injured and drugged babies. These babies won't breastfeed.
We need to make a loud noise about obstetric practices that result in babies
that can't do what they are born to do, instead of trying all sorts of tricks to
take care of the situation. Maybe if enough suckless babies were seen to be
the result of routine obstetrical practice, things might change?
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Adjunct Faculty, Union Institute and University, Lactation Program
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com