From:
Mary Herrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:48:49 -0700
I agree that any "intervention" such as APNO used routinely for normal breastfeeding moms/babies is a potential for more harm than help in the breastfeeding relationship.  I'd also like to add that I was using this a few weeks ago for sore nipples according to Newman's protocol (using sparingly and allowing it to absorb in between feedings) and I discovered something surprising.  Apparently, even if used in the appropriate manner, it leaves a nasty taste on the nipple.  My four year old recoiled in disgust.  Now, she asks before every time she nurses, "did you wipe that medicine off, mommy?"

  How sad that we would be exposing so many newborns to this icky taste.

  mary herrington