From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 20:27:10 -0500
Esther -

Would it work to print out labels for the moms that are storing milk for
babies, keep the labels by wherever you're dishing up the amount needed
(presumably by the fridge), and slap a label on the bottle you're filling?
Using a label that was distinct in color or size from the one on the
original container - well, original bottle, I guess, as the "original
container" doesn't hold labels too well and they're apt to come off in the
shower, hee-hee - so you don't mix them up. Or pre-label a supply of bottles
for each mom/baby, guesstimating how many will be needed per day or per stay
or whatever makes sense?

Seems to me that carrying around an unlabeled bottle of milk is a
prescription for confusion - like what if the nurse gets derailed between
the refrigerator and the intended room, and sets it down somewhere, or
someone else picks it up & takes it to a different baby, or whatever? As a
nurse, I have to say that this sort of things has happened many times to me,
though with something either totally insignificant like an extra flower vase
or verifiable like a narcotic med. And if I were the mother, I'd feel more
confident with milk that was labelled - of course, we know a label can be
wrong, but you figure the odds are in your favour if it at least *says* it's
yours.

CAthy Bargar RN IBCLC Ithaca NY