From:
Jessica Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:22:33 EST
Hello, O wise Lactnuts!

I am in need of some encouragement, as well as some advice.  My sister-in-law
gave birth 1 week ago via emergency c/s to a 35-week healthy baby girl, 5 lb.
8 oz.  We had discussed breastfeeding before she delivered, and she said she
"wanted to try" (with very little enthusiasm, I might add!), but is going back
to work in 8 weeks and "there's no place to pump, so I'd have to stop anyway."
She didn't want to take the BF class at the hospital, so I have been trying to
provide her with info and support.  While she was in the hospital, she had
help from WONDERFUL LCs (Royce and Ottie, I know you're out there...), and
started pumping and using an SNS. She only used the SNS once, and has since
been giving the baby EBM with a bottle.  Now the baby is a week old and won't
even latch on.  (I know there would be hope for this if it were wanted!!)  My
SIL seems OK with all of this, and I am glad, at least, that the baby is
getting EBM for now.  I know that she plans to F-feed upon her return to work,
and it makes me very sad!  IMHO, she is depriving her baby and herself of a
wonderful and healthful experience.

OK, so, given this bit of background, what I want to know is, as Lactation
professionals and HCPs, how do you handle BF issues with friends and family
members who are less than happy about BF or just plain choose the (yuk)
alternative?  (Or, how do you keep your mouth shut?)  I have tried very hard
to support her and provide an example of a happy BF relationship, but I think
I have failed.  As I am just starting my journey to LC-hood, I find it much
easier to talk to total strangers about BF than it is to talk to someone close
to me!  I know some of you MUST have experienced this before, so I would be
happy to know how you handle this sort of situation.

TIA,
Jessica Garrett
OKC, OK