From:
Betsy Riedel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:40:24 EDT
We have one anesthesiologist that tells mothers they can NOT breastfeed after
general anesthesia (he never writes a order: just says this when he leaves
the room). We're talking a short tubal ligation procedure. Once when I asked
him why he said this, he responded that it was an "old thing" and it really
didn't matter. He did this again yesterday. The literature I have seen (not
too much) seems to see no problem with nursing as soon as Mom is able. My
feeling is that if this guy is going to say this, HE should be the one to
back up his request with a citation or two. We nurses should not be the ones
to feel compelled to pull out all the stops.

Does anyone have a citation that refutes the idea that one can not breastfeed
after general anesthesia? Could you e-mail me, please? Thanks in advcance,
you all!
Thanks,
Betsy R. L&D RNC,CLC