From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:45:14 -0500
Julie, did you do test weights? I would want verification of what the
intake is. I have seen fussy babies after nursing for a short time and
transferring 4-5 ounces in 5 minutes. When we slow the flow and actually
lower the intake a bit, baby is happier. Once baby can manage a normal
flow, baby is happier and likes to nurse. I have also seen fussy babies
who cry all the time and are not gaining weight and the test weights
show poor intake. There is great information on over abundant milk
supply in the BAB. Sometimes I have mom pump 1/2 ounce off each breast
before nursing, and mostly go to one sided nursing with some removed. I
like test weights because they help me see at what point is how much
intake compared to baby's behavior.

Some babies are in pain from something undiagnosed, like a shoulder
injury from birth. I would suggest a good craniosacral therapist to help
with "body work" to see if there is something needing attention. The CST
I use has told me she can improve the reflux by a spot on their back or
spine and she almost always finds this spot an issue with these tight or
arching babies. They also keep their  mouths tight and sometimes clench
their jaws, but this can be flow related as a way to lower the milk flow.

Some babies are missing the womb, Dr. Sears writes about this.

Some babies are arching babies, they stiffen and arch back, and take
forever to latch on because they can not organize their behavior. This
baby sounds like he/she is very disorganized. When I see this behavior,
I show mom how to help baby organize to latch and encourage her to be
patient and feed baby early before real hunger sets in.

My third baby was miserable from birth. Only myself and my husband could
hold him or he would scream. He never cried, he screamed. He nursed well
and was organized about it but the culprit turned out to be allergies to
milk, wheat, eggs, strawberries, and cats and YES, from birth he was
snotty and having issues. At six weeks, he calmed down some but at 2
months he had his first of many ear infections and that started the
constant screaming over again.

Good luck to this poor mother. I know I felt terribly disappointed and
overwhelmed to get such a sensitive and unhappy baby when I ordered an
easy one (no. 3 child, too!).

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC