From:
Denise Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 06:17:54 -0800
Update on mom with slow weight gain baby.

Rechecked mom yesterday.  Baby took in 1.5 ounces from breast with great
effort, eg mother messaging and hand expressing while baby breastfed.
Baby's gain this week is good at about 8 ounces.  Suck seems weak, latch
begins good baby then slides down, easy to break suction, overall tone of
baby is seems low.  Worked on latch-on and positioning, using prone
positions to keep baby deeply on breast.

I called the head of OB/GYN and was able to get her in to see an MD today.
Expressed all of my concerns, which include retained placental fragments,
thyroid, anemia, and hormonal.  I was promised he would do a thorough
evaluation.

I tried to get hold of baby's pediatrician.  She was out sick.  Tried to
reach a doctor to discuss this with but had no luck, will try again today.
While the weight gain is adequate, something isn't right.  I suspect
multiple issues are going on.

Denise Parker, BA, IBCLC (La Crescenta, CA)
To Avoid Criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing