From:
Katherine Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:11:13 EDT
In a message dated 10/2/00 11:56:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Actually, her
 sister in law sounds a lot better informed and more committed than many
 moms. >>

She's committed to nursing - but if it would have been too difficult or too
painful or if baby would have cried to much, she wouldn't have been -
iykwim....she's commited to it in theory, though if in reality it were too
difficult, she wouldn't be....and she thinks the formula is a very okay
choice for infant feeding.

With #1 she began supplementing at 3 wks....at that point, began pumping
5x/day even though she was home with baby...pumped and bottlefed 50/50
ABM/EBM.

My baby was born when her first child was 1 yr old...I was the only person
she's ever seen, in her life, nurse a baby in public - she never ever ever
did with #1.  I was the only person she's ever heard of who sleeps with her
baby as an actual *choice*.

I offer tiny bits of info here and there....I could tell that a change took
place between #1 and #2 for her - probably in large part actually finally
seeing a real person nurse exclusively for 6+ months....prior to that, it was
some lofty goal that only mothers written up in books achieved.  She was
shocked when she found out (after asking me) at 8 wks pp that I wasn't
supplementing.  She thought it was very cool and really amazing.  Not at all
amazing I'd tell her....so much easier than mixing things, cleaning bottles
5x per day, pumping 5x per day....over time, she began to agree.

<<In any case, I always feel a little uneasy when I hear about
things going wrong because a mother is not committed, or badly informed,
or the hospital routine interfered, or something. There are so many
things and combination of things, who really knows?>>

No one, but in retrospect you can look at many of the things individually and
see which things most probably did have a negative impact.  Hopefully, we can
look at those things and try to change them.

"when we knew better, we did better"  - Maya Angelou

;)
katherine in atl