From:
Christina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 10:29:07 -0700
Hi Phyllis,

Thanks for the kind words and I apologize for the delayed response.  To
answer your questions:

1.  We've never worn gowns to bathe babies.  As for gloves, I've never had
anyone complain to me about wearing gloves.  I know that some nurses did
complain that water got into the gloves (thereby making them useless) but
one nurse suggested switching to the longer gloves they find in the O.R. to
prevent that from happening.  I know this is a terrible thing to admit, but
I actually don't wear gloves when I do my immersion baths.  I just don't
feel like I have a good enough grip on the babies when I'm gloved.  So I've
done baths without them for a long time.  I wash my hands very well before
and after.  If I have a known hepatitis positive mother or known/obvious
chorio, then I wear gloves as well.  I realize that isn't using universal
precautions but I just feel like I'm going to drop a baby if I don't.
 Perhaps it's time to start doing this.

2.  Yes, mothers and families DO have their own yuck factor and sometimes
ask me to please clean up their babies before they hold them.  I gently
explain why we don't do it and why it's best to leave baby alone to spend
time with mom and breastfeed.  RARELY have I had a mom, after a good and
gentle explanation, pursue bathing any further.  Most are happy to wait once
they understand the benefits.  If a baby smells really putrid (I've seen
this twice with awful cases of chorio) or if they baby has been swimming in
thick meconium for a long time, I'll make an exception.

3.  As we are a small, community hospital, our hearing tests are only done a
few hours a day, during the day.  So we just go ahead with the bath and the
hearing test is usually done much later, closer to discharge.

Hope this helps,

Christina Harris, RN
Federal Way, WA