Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:30:33 EST
I have had two moms call me today with similar situations. Both think they
have had a milk decrease after they began the drug Effexor. It is an
antidepressant. One mom is taking it with Vicodin. This mom has back pain. Both babies
have some constipation.

When I read about Vicodin in Hale's book it says that it may increase
toxicity when associated with CNS depressants and tricyclic antidepressants. I read
this to the mom and suggested asking her doctor about mixing these two drugs.

There was nothing about a decrease of milk in either drug. Has anyone else
had moms on the Effexor that have reported a decrease in milk? I know this is
only two moms but would you contact the drug company to inform them of this? How
do the drug companies know the side effects of their product if no one
informs them? Everything else sounded fine in terms of the actual breastfeeding
(frequency, wet diapers).

Thanks for the input,
Annette Leibovitz, IBCLC