From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 1995 08:46:48 -0500
Hi all,

I have a mom who was told to stop bf her second child at 4 months because the
baby was "allergic" to her brmilk.  (The fact that there were severe milk
allergies in the family was never noted by the pediatrician who told her to
quit; the baby is now 22 months old and still on alimentum!)  With this baby,
she went off all milk products the day I saw her (baby was one day old), and
everything was fine until the PKU test came back and the baby was diagnosed
as hypothyroid.  A retest was done, diagnosis confirmed.  Baby put on 0.05mg
of Synthroid (apparently it doesn't come in liquid form; she has to crush the
tablet and mix with EBM).  Since then, the baby is only content when on the
breast or sleeping.  Is very "noise sensitive," irritable, cries a lot,
generally miserable.  I thought 0.05mg was an awful lot for an 8# baby...she
is going to see a pediatric endocrinologist the end of the week if she can
get in (after all, we are in the holidays) and after the baby has a thyroid
scan.  Anybody know anything about treating babies that are hypothyroid?
 This is my first.... (apparently it occurs 1 in 40,000).

Also, the one and only mom that I had that was finally treated with Diflucan
for ductal yeast took one 150 mg. dose and the baby broke out with hives.
 She is furious with me, that I didn't tell her that if the baby reacted to
the medication she would have to pump & dump for 10 days to get rid of the
medication entirely.  Of course, she also tried bananas for the first time
that day.  In the reading of the literature on diflucan, there was nothing
about hives, though I suppose anyone can get hives from virtually anything.
 The mom is a bit bizzare anyway; if anyone would come down with hives, it
would be her... but I'm still feeling badly about it.  Anyone have a
guesstimation as to whether the hives were bananas or diflucan?

Jan B. -- licking her wounds in public -- cuz this is where it is safe to do
it.....