Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:51:48 +0000
It is so hard to change policy....that's why Baby Friendly is
managing to succeed in the UK, as it has a ready-made research-based
framework. It makes no exceptions for caesarean section mothers who
are entitled to the same level of baby friendliness as anyone else : )

Attie's current struggle is the professionals who say (wrt bnabies
with mothers after sections)

>1. there is not enough room in our RR.
>2. only one nurse in RR. Its too hard to turn the pt.
>3. more importantly " what does the Association of Recovery Room " Nurses
>say about taking care of 2 pts. instead of one. Especially since the advent
>of the use of Spinals.

But how big does the baby have to be to take up a lot of room? I
don't get it! The baby is in the mother's arms, anyway.

Sorry, I don't understand about turning...is this b/c someone has to
turn the mother while someone else holds the baby? But the baby can
be popped in a crib for a moment while the mother is turned, yes?

Can't offer any suggestions about the objections to 2 for the price
of 1! But the mother is caring for the baby, isn't she?

I feel sorry for you hps working in these institutions where others
can make it such hard work to be caring, sensible, human....the
bottom line about caring, sensible, human in this context is that
mothers and babies belong together in these crucial first hours, and
that *everything* and *everybody* should be focussed on making that
the most normal thing in the world.

Talk about preaching to the choir; )

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK