From:
Kari Nolz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:36:20 -0500
My name is Kari Nolz and I am a junior nursing student at the University of
North Dakota. While browsing through the site I noticed that questions
concerning breastfeeding are something that comes up time and time again.
One of the concerns that I am particularly interested in is children with cleft
palates or lips and how they fair with breastfeeding. After reviewing some of
the literature on the subject I found the following information:
            Children born with cleft lip or palate often experience poor feeding
skills and many of these problems persist beyond the first year of life. It has
also been observed that a child with a cleft palate may have more difficulties
feeding than a child with a cleft lip (Reid, 2006).
            A child with cleft lip or palate may experience difficulties such as poor
suction, increased feeding time, excessive air intake, nasal regurgitation and
also impaired weight gain due to malnutrition (Erkkila 2005).
            Initiation rate of breastfeeding an infant with a cleft lip or palate is
high but it is thought that mothers might breastfeed for a longer duration if
they received professional support after discharge (Garcez 2005).
            My question is, are there any special considerations that need to be
accounted for when educating a mother of a child with a cleft lip or palate on
how to breast feed? I was also wondering if any of your institutions do any
follow up with a mother feeding an infant with a cleft lip or palate after
discharge?  Thank You, Kari Nolz