From:
Tricia Shamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2016 14:52:33 +0000
 Dr. Mendelsohn's children have created a website that contains a great deal of his writings and videos of his lectures. Dr. Mendelsohn (1926-1988) was an avid supporter of La Leche League and breastfeeding. He wrote several books and received criticism many things, including recommending parents pick up their baby when it cries and continue breastfeeding their toddlers, etc. He wrote several books including Confessions of Medical Heretic, How to Raise and Healthy Child...In spite of Your Doctor, and Male Practice: How Doctors Manipulate Women. Here's a little of one of his newsletters from 1978 that I thought you might all enjoy, in response to a letter from a woman who was told that breastfeeding her 21 month old would make him emotionally stunted and dependent on her:
"I have the feeling that the word "independence" has been terribly misused. What is an independent 2-year-old supposed to be capable of doing--trudging off to the office with his morning paper and lunch encased in a miniature briefcase? Our country's Declaration of Independence is more than 200 years old. For the next 200 years, I would like to suggest a Declaration of DEPENDENCE designed to encourage interdependence for babies and mothers, brothers and sisters, parents and grandparents, husbands and wives and other family members. But I would encourage you to be independent enough to follow your own good sense in bringing up your baby."
http://thepeoplesdoctor.net/
Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC
Dad felt that the hospital, with all of its interventions into a natural process, was a dangerous place to have a baby. One of his favorite lines was: “An obstetrician is like a fireman. They both rush in and save lives. The only difference is: the fireman didn’t start the fire.”– Ruth Lockshin, Dr. Mendelsohn’s daughter, 2014