From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:46:38 -0500
SUBJECT:  The effects of epidural meds: FENTANYL

I thought you all might find interesting my most recent (personal)
experience with Fentanyl, a drug commonly used at the epidural site for
laboring women.

I had to have a procedure done that required this medication.  Anyone who
knows me knows I HATE being out of control, as in be
anesthetized/analgesic-ed, etc.
I discussed this with the person giving the meds and she agreed to give me
the lowest possible dose to do the job.  As a result, I was fully awake
during the procedure, at least enough to note things and ask questions as
the procedure was going on.  Fortunately for the MD, he took no offense at
my persistent questions and answered them completely. (can you imagine all
MDs being so accomodating?)  ENough on the other elements....

Almost immediately after receiving the first smidgen of Fentanyl, I felt
dizzy. I was able to stop this by closing my eyes for awhile. (I was lying
down the entire time, by the way). After approximately 1 hour, the hep lock
was disconnected and I was back in the recovery area.  I was able to sit up
right away, but told not to move around too much in case I felt dizzy.
That, too, occurred, but I was able to get dressed and go home.  I felt like
I needed to concentrate on walking, but did not feel dizzy.  The person I
was with was a nurse and we carried on a normal conversation for about 1/2
hour.  She took me home and I then felt dizzy and nauseous.  She put me to
bed. I slept for 2 hours (a light dozey sort of sleep that I came in and out
of, recalling some other activities in the home during this period some of
the time).  At some point, my sleep deepened, but I was wakened by the
phone.  At that point, I got up, felt fine and went outside after getting
dressed.  All done, right?  WRONG!

In the following 12-24 hours, I found myself forgetting simple details of
work that are second nature!  I had to keep reminding myself of things to
check that normally are done with boring routine.  This lasted about 12 more
hours.

Now:  I am an adult, can talk through what I need to get done.  I wonder how
many women have this up to 2.5 day response to the minimal amounts of
Fentanyl I got (100 mg).  Perhaps if they get more meds, it lasts longer!
AND, what about babies? It was clear to me that the Fentanyl went right to
my brain; anyone who has heard Tom Hale's talk knows it goes to lipid.  A
baby cannot tell us he/she is dizzy, feels like nOT eating, can't remember
how to do the simplest things (or more complex ones, like coordinating lips,
tongue, mouth, etc.).  AND, after I was fully awake for the first time, I
thought I was over the meds.  It was not clear that I was not until I
encountered repeated episodes of forgetting those pesky details of routine
living that got in my way.  Think about it.  Are mothers warned of this?
SHould they be?

Kathy Auerbach

Kathleen G. Auerbach, PhD, IBCLC