From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 02:50:58 -0500
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Has anyone else noticed that they've seen an increased # of "painful
> BFing"
> or other problems in women who habitually use these "boppies" and
> other
> pillow-like devices for nursing? I
The babies are way too far away
> from the
> breast & mom's body to really be where they need to be for a good
> feed, and
> generally too low as well. I can see how these "nursing pillows"
> might be at
> least sort of useful, if the mom used them to support her arms as
> they hold
> the baby, rather than just to plop the baby onto.
>
> Anybody else noticed this? Or am I just being anti-gizmo, as I know
> I have a
> tendency to be?
>
> Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC
> Ithaca NY

Cathy,
Having Breastfed my two children 30 yrs and 25 yrs ago I too feel like
there are too many "needed" items for breastfeeding moms today.  I have
noticed this boppy pillow phenomena and I tell mothers if they are going
to use the "boppy," they need to put another pillow underneath to bring
the "boppy" high enough to have baby correctly positioned.  Boppy pillow
is not even really made to be used as a breastfeeding pillow.  We
actually sell a pillow call Billow Pillow that I like much better.  You
can email me privately and I will give you more information on that if
you want.  I tell all mothers that two regular bed pillows are fine and
they don't need to have every gadget out there.  It seems to be like the
pumps.  People who are only 8 weeks gestation are calling asking about
buying pumps.  It is unbelievable.
Thank you,
Darlene Breed, BS, RN, IBCLC
Coordinator, Breastfeeding Center