From:
Jane Hedges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 14:42:49 -0500
Hello All,

Thanks so much for all the feedback from my original post. Here is her
follow up reply to me:

Neither Chloe nor I have taken antibiotics recently.  There have been no
steroids or oral contraceptives either.  Also, my nipples and breasts feel
fine, so that part, at least, is not painful.  Yet, I understand I can
still be a carrier of thrush even without those symptoms.  Is there
anything else  I should look at if there are no pain symptoms on my side at
this time?   Should I be doing some of the things you suggested (ie.
vinegar solution, etc.) regardless of how the nipples feel?

When applying the gentian violet I did apply it to my nipples.  And when
the
doctor prescribed Nystatin drops she asked that I also apply some to my
nipples and therefore no other prescription was given for the nipples.
Does
your information show I'm better off applying the cream rather than the
drops?

You mentioned another medication for resistant cases.  When I asked my
doctor if there was anything else that can be given she said no(I mentioned
the Nystatin drops taste terrible and its tough getting Chloe to
cooperate).
  What would that other medication be and how invasive is it for Chloe?

This time around, the doctor is giving me a total of 48 ml, so I can
probably make it last 12 days (last time she prescribed 24 ml).  Do you
have
any info. on file stating how continuing two weeks after the symptoms
disappear may effect the child vs. the usual amount of time?  Also, any
suggestions as to how I can approach my doctor for a longer dose of the
medication?  I take it that I can just get the over-the-counter Nystatin
cream for my nipples so I don't need the doctor's help on that end, right?
Anyway, I'm already using the cream on Chloe's genitals since she also
tested possitive for yeast in that area.

The part about the partner possibly having to be treated as well:  what
method of treament is used in such an instance?

We saw the doctor today and also got a request for a urine test (to check
the possibility of diabetes), so we'll be getting that worry dealt with
asap.

Do any of you have info. on what other medications other than Nystatin can
be used? Can she use over the counter Nystatin on her nipples, or does she
need a prescription?

I am looking for suggestions as this Mom needs more info. than I alone can
provide.

Thanks,

Jane Hedges, LLL