Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 21:22:40 -0500
I had a call from a mom whom I haven't seen (far away) who has had
"engorgement" under both arm pits from the birth of her baby (#2).  I know
that this can happen initially, and I have treated such with cabbage
leaves.  But the baby is 4 weeks old and every morning she has
uncomfortable swelling under her arms over about a 1 1/2 inch square area.
It is uncomfortable to have her arms at her side. Baby begins to feed, and
the swelling goes down--one side more than the other.  But it never totally
drains.  It is less at the end of the day.

Usually these milk accumulations have no outlet so the milk production is
stopped, but it seems, in this case, that there are milk ducts that are
draining these "breasts" and I don't know how to shut off the production.
I thought about some anti-galatogogues, but that would affect the real
breasts too and she doesn't think that she has too much milk.

Have any of you dealt with this type of case?  What was effective in
resolution?

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]