From:
Susan Smylie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 17:48:24 -0500
I have a friend who developed HELLP while pregnant with twins.  She had an
emergency c-section at 34 weeks gestation, both twins survived.  She was kept
drugged for 5 days, then was finally able to start pumping.  The twins were
being tube fed, I believe.  They received EBM while in the hospital, then she
enlisted the help of an LC to get them nursing at home.  With the help of
finger feeding, both boys successfully nursed for over 2 years, and in fact
were only weaned due to her having to take medication that was incompatible
with breastfeeding.

This story gets even better.  She recently gave birth to another baby--no
HELLP, or any other problems, in fact, she had a completely natural
childbirth and was able to nurse immediately after birth.  This was after
being told for her entire pregnancy that the chances were great that she
would become ill and require another c-section, and being seen weekly  by her
OB for the last half of her pregnancy, and having every test invented for
pregnant women run on her.

I should add that she considers the LC who helped her to be one of the
kindest, most influential people in her life.  This woman came to her at a
time when she was extremely vulnerable.  She (my friend) says that one day
when she was trying to get the hang of finger feeding, the Lc said "you have
great insticts".  My friend never looked back after that.  I added this last
bit for those of you who are feeling discouraged about being in this
profession :)
susan