From:
Esther Grunis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 18:20:51 +0200
Heather wrote:

<Was the baby treated as well?

Thrush can't be ruled out until both mother and baby are treated,
surely.>

Baby was given topical treatment although there were no signs of thrush
in her mouth.  Pain did not originate with nipple soreness.  She
experienced all the usual difficulties while breastfeeding her first
child but with this baby all was well in the beginning, much to her
surprise.  This is what is puzzling me.

Pat wrote:
<And how far in the future would that be?  Like Tuesday instead on
Monday???

I don't like unilateral things.>

Pat, you are so right!! I agree, but unfortunately I can only
suggest.....her doc has to give the referral.

<But would you think  thrush could be unilateral? >

Bingo!! That is what is the most bothersome about this whole picture.
How many cases of unilateral candida without history of nipple soreness
have you seen?

How about MER?  can it cause such a sensation on only one side?  Pain,
sometimes excruciating, sometimes tolerable?

Heather wrote:

<I have certainly come across women who have experienced the shooting
pains in one side rather than the other, and with soreness on the
nipple on one side and not on the other - but I agree with you it
should be checked out.>

Anyone else had a case of unilateral intraductal thrush with no report
of nipple soreness?  That is what does not figure here.  Remember the
pain is at least 20 minutes post feed.  Am waiting for a call from her
today....asked her to make notes.

Jack wrote:
<Neuropathic pain could also present like this.  Often there is a
precipitating factor. >

Please explain in more detail and what should I be looking for in that
case?
Has anyone seen Reynaud's unilaterally?

<I also don't think the mammogram
or
other investigation is going to show anything and are a waste of time
and
money.>

HMO covers it.  Socialized medicine, remember?  No history of breast
cancers tho.

Don't you love the detective part of this profession?

Thanks guys.  Any more ideas?  Little does this mom know that she has
now been helped by 2000 LC's.

Esther Grunis, IBCLC
mailto:[log in to unmask]