Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:16:27 +0000

>Here, direct sales are the **only** way they are marketed,

Ditto here.

>  None of the three
>companies peddling shields in Norway have any package insert saying why or
>how to use them, or why NOT to, they are called something like 'aids to
>breastfeeding' (can't remember the exact text) and there is no information
>on the packaging about the size either.

Ditto again.

They are almost always recommended to mothers by HPs as an aid to
latching on, though they are sold (on the package) as protectors.

Most HPs do not know how they should be used, and by the time the
mother is having severe problems with supply/baby being hooked on the
shield the HP who recommended it is long gone (here, mothers see
midwives for about 10 days and then the health visitor is the lead
community professional).

>  I can't remember where I read it, but I agree completely with
>the statement that 'unless you are going to follow the dyad until the shield
>is no longer needed, you should not take responsibility for introducing it'.

It's a Woolridgism, and something like this is in Enabling Women to Breastfeed.

I have *never* - noe, not even once - come across a mother here who
has been recommended a shield who has been also guided on its
appropriate use, its application, and warned of drawbacks.

It does not help that most shields are a one size fits all (or no one).

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne