From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 10:52:02 -0400
Kathy Koch said:

>I just wish Oprah had said "breastfeeding"
without the sneer in her voice...

I noticed it too.  She couldn't say it without giggling or a sort of
can-you-believe-this incredulity in her voice.  The show did give rise to a
funny scene at my house, though, and I know all the parents of teens on this
list will particularly enjoy what happened in my kitchen after the show.....

I told my kids (13 y/o girl, 17 y/o boy were watching with me), "Well, hey,
a weekend at a spa [prize for 'Great Moms'] sounds pretty nice!"  And Elaine
said, "Oh, do you want us to write a letter for you to Oprah?"  I replied,
"Sure," and she said, "Yeah, well, but, you're not a great mom!"

Her brother spluttered, "What do you mean? She is so a great mom!"  (Ah,
payoff for years of surly teenage behavior)  And Elaine went on to explain,
well, I hadn't done anything great like the first mom whose husband had
died, leaving her to raise three little kids on her own.  When I protested
that the second mom was an LLL Leader like me, Elaine was unimpressed.  (I
was having some fun with her at this point because she realized she had dug
herself into a hole.)  I went on: "Well, what about my going back to school?
How many moms go back to college and get straight As?  What about going to
medical school?  How many moms do that?"  (rolled eyes, she is very
anti-academic at the moment)  So I tried again:  "What about all those
mornings I get up at 5:30 to take you to skating?"

"Oh!" Elaine said, "well, that IS great.  Okay, I'll write."

So - I am not a great mom because I'm just a great mom, or because I've done
lots of stuff to help other moms, or because I got straight As, or because I
am hoping to go to medical school.  I *am* a great mom because I take her to
skating!!

The whole thing was hilarious.  By far the most amusing thing was Michael
sticking up for me and telling his sister that I was undoubtedly a great
mom.  If I want that spa weekend, I know which kid should write the letter.  :-D

Mary Renard, RN, BSN, IBCLC
above-average mom, anyway
Vienna Virginia  USA