From:
Henya KnitMammy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:26:20 -0500
Thank you. You have said it so wonderfully. Milk sharing is normal and
healthy. And it happens all the time. The only problem is - most of us know
that
 "Powers That Be" will condemn them and so - we do not talk about it.
How can we listen to all this and let milk and our breasts become something
shameful and dirty.
I was absolutely floored when I discovered that Doctors wright in case
histories of healthy women "Denies venereal disease".   What do you mean
denies?! If I do not have it I do not have it, I am not denying it, covering
it up like a shameful secret.  Why are we assumed guilty until proven
innocent?! And you know - there is no way to prove it. When I thought an
exemption from an idiotic "Drops in the eyes" ritual I have approached my
pediatrician - and he said no, talk to the GP. I did. They also said no.
Because they can not guarantee my being disease-free. Even with blood work.
The hysterically funny thing was that I just stopped working in their
office. No one asked me for blood work when they hired me.
I have nursed other babies, and when I had an emergency surgery other people
nursed mine.
My Mother expressed milk for another child each time she had her baby. And
it did not last a few days or weeks - it lasted a year in each case.
I think we have a wonderful opportunity to encourage women determined to
feed the babies the most responsible way - with mothers milk.
Let us not waist it on doubting our self or the mothers.
After all my baby belongs to me and my husband, my breasts belong to me and
the milk I make is mine. It does not belong to Doctors, Lawyers, Politicians
or Indian Chief. It is not up to them to decide what I can do with it.
When I ended up in an ER 2 weeks after I had a baby providing milk for her
was my first concern. I did not expect to need emergency treatment, I had no
time to do blood-work on the baby to prove that she is healthy or to
interview potential milk-sharers. What I had was a 2 week old baby, that
never took a bottle and could not have formula. And she was hungry. So I
found someone to feed her. Without a license.
After all the main requirement is not having a license - it is having milk.

Henya
Brooklyn, NY

Want to know me better - visit my blog  http://chickenstitches.blogspot.com/
For unique patterns and stitch markers - visit my shop chickenstitches.com
Visit my ArtFire studio - http://www.artfire.com/users/ChickenStitches
Visit my Etsy shop - chickenstitches.etsy.com
Find me on Ravelry as knitmammy http://www.ravelry.com/people/knitmammy