Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 17:53:28 +0100
>In a message dated 5/19/2004 9:04:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>However, without the structure to support and maintain breastfeeding,
>any campaign which actually aims to increase guilt for not
>breastfeeding in a deliberate way, is likely to increase the guilt of
>the women who fail to breastfeed. ..and as  we see every day here,
>personal guilt for this is
>misplaced.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>........................
>
>Good point made above about the need for support structure to optimize a BF
>ad campaign's messages, .......however, ....my understanding is that the goal
>is not <<actually aims to increase guilt for not breastfeeding in a deliberate
>way>> the goal is to at least more frankly convey the risk of not BF, and even
>more importantly, frankly convey the risk of formula feeding,
>.........because, as indicated by research, people change negative
>behaviors based on the
>realization of the *risk/negative effects* of that behavior.

Yes, of course they do....in certain circumstances, but not all. I
agree with you, Debbie, about the goal being frankness about risk.
This is not enough for some breastfeeding supporters, sadly. They
want to increase the guilt.

You can be aware of risk, and not feel guilty about taking the risk.
This may because in your life, other things are more important than
health risks.

You can be aware of a risk now that you were not aware of taking at
the time - and you still don't need to feel guilty.

Not feeling guilty presuppposes that the person telling you of the
risks is not judgemental or critical.

Withholding information on the grounds that 'it might make women feel
guilty' is not what I am in favour of, not at all.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, UK