From:
Gabi Avni <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 14:16:42 -0500
I'm not an expert...but here I go...
Working labour and delivery.

All women at our institution that have epidurals for labour
and delivery have to have an IV. Alot (I don't know stats)
of women with epidurals need some kind of augmentation,
in the first stage and if not then, at least the 2nd
stage of labour. I don't want to get into the discussion:
epidurals ,labour, medications, operative deliveries etc
Regarding the flat nipples:
1)Because these women have IV's,and some of them get alot
of IV fluid, they third space (lack of mobility, epidural
side effects) and get quite edematous. Their nipples get
edematous too?
2)Oxytocin has antidiuretic properties. Therefore, more
fluid retention....nipples edematous....
Gabi Avni
IBCLC, RN, Ottawa Ontario