From:
Sharon S Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 01:56:39 -0500
Dear Dana,

Well, first you can be thankful that the poor woman didn't lose her
breast as one did at a local racetrack a few years ago.  This is why
biting of any kind should never be tolerated in a horse and should elicit
a swift and painful response to the horse by the bitee, IMHO. (I'm not
talking about prolonged beating or anything - the best, if you can bring
yourself to do it, is to bite the horse back, hard, on the muzzle).
Mostly, we've spoiled our horses disgracefully.  Just a little aside to
any aspiring horse owners out there.

Back to lactation.  This is kind of like you would work with a mom who
had previous breast surgery.  Be optomistic and don't go looking for
trouble.  Frequent nursing should be stressed both to prevent engorgement
and help bring in a good supply.  Pretty basic stuff, but so important.
Pain meds are always an option if it comes to that.  Good luck to this
mom.  She is definitely the stoic type to go through what she did
already.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, LLLL, IBCLC in Newark, New York (near Rochester)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use
from Juno, the world's second largest online service.
Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html.