From:
"Ann M. Calandro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 08:15:00 EST
I posted a reply to the hospital about the blood transfusion, but it was
returned, so I will send it out here.Three years ago in Georgia, I worked with a
mom who had a baby at 34 weeks.She was diagnosed with HELLP syndrome, and was in
a coma in the ICU, not expected to live.  On the fifth day, I was called to the
ICU because she had develped a fever and engorgement.  It was felt that her milk
had come in and was causing fever.  We used the double electric pump with her
flat on her back, and we were able to relieve her engorgement, and started a q3
hour pumping schedule for her.  She had a lot of milk, and we were all very
surprised because she had received over 100 units of blood.  A few days later,
she gained consciousness.  We contacted the CDC about the possiblility of using
her milk with the baby, which her husband wanted us to do.  The CDC felt it was
fine to use.  Later on , her midwife talked her out of breastfeeding, saying
that there was always a slight possiblity that the milk could be contaminated
through all the transfusions she had had.  The mom survived and went home about
a month later, with the baby, who was bottle feeding at that time.

Ann Calandro, RNC,IBCLC