From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2006 12:10:48 -0700
As most of the mothers I visit are low-income, and some in very dangerous neighborhoods, I balance my choices with "professional"  (I want to look like the home visiting nurse or the social worker who are considered "safe" visitors rather than the CPS worker who is not - and often must make visits with a police escort) .

But I also make sure my clothes are "washable" (I kneel in front of the mom often, and have had "unknown" fluids seeping in) - siblings and pets also want attention from me!

I also need them to be "cool" (the homes are mostly not air-conditioned and with temps well over 100 degrees farenheit in the Summer).

Different areas of the US are so very different - when I lived in Puerto Rico I was by far the most informally dressed person, as I wore slacks a lot - but in California I am considred much more formally dressed that the Public Health Nurses I work with!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA