From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 17:16:15 -0800
Hi, all. I was invited by a medical student to give a lecture "on
breastfeeding". I have 2 hours. He described the potential
audience as doctors, nurses, medical students, student nurses,
university students, etc. I have to assume an extremely varied
prior knowledge of breastfeeding. My daughter advises a catchy
title and topic: after sleeping on it, I decided on "The Need for
Informed Consent to Bottlefeed". How does this grab everyone?
Frankly, I want to turn things around and go on the offensive -
instead of this constant pushing of how important breastfeeding
is (IMO, a defensive stance), I want to shake people up, try to
get them to see bottlefeeding as a medical therapy when the body
is malfunctioning. I adore the crutch-wheelchair analogy, and
will lean on this heavily. (Who was the genius who put that on
Lactnet?? I adore you too!). **In your opinions, what are the
major things to bring up?** At the beginning of the lecture, I
want to read an article from JHL, the one about the "three
sisters" of different cultures. So much to say, so little time!
Maybe I'll be invited for more lectures (either that, or be
tarred and feathered out of town....  :-}). I am looking forward
to getting LOTS of ideas from you very experienced people out
there.
TIA, Judy Knopf in Beer Sheva, Israel  [log in to unmask]