From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2012 07:28:49 -0500
 We do about 1000 to 1200 births but only 50% initiate bf. We do not have a
level 3 nicu, but the moms whose babies are shipped need to pump, and we
keep level 2 babies so those moms need to pump. There are also the moms who
choose "just to pump." I sometimes give them a hand pump if the electric
ones are being used or we have a premie mom about to deliver.

We have had 3 pumps for the last 7 yrs, and that has usually been enough.
We definitely needed those 3 and maybe a 4th. Sometimes we run out and
fairly often a baby is admitted to peds and the mom needs a pump, or even
in the ER or OP surgery. We just recently bought 3 new pumps. Now we have
6.

I think it depends, for your facility, on the nicu population, and the bf
rate overall. You might want to document the times that a pump is needed
and not available. That might help if you have to justify to your manager
that a pump/pumps are needed in capital budget expenditures.
Laurie Wheeler