From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:23:27 -0500
With Janice's report about the change in nuance in how fortifier for breastmilk is being described by Prolacta, who just entered into distribution partnership with Abbot, a pharmaceutical and breastmilk substitute company, I think we can get ready for the onslaught as drug reps move into the marketing arena for breastmilk 'enhancers'.  It isn't enough we have to have surgery on our breasts to make them more satisfactory, now we have to augment our milk too.  What next?

Obviously the sales potential to the tiny babies who may actually need fortifier added to their mothers' milk *for a limited time* is piddling, compared to what one could achieve if one could convince neonatologists that breastmilk varies too much in content to be really reliable, so to ensure that the child will get proper nutrition, all babies should be supplemented with fortifier.  I can only hope neonatologists are more savvy than any other group of human beings to date and won't fall for this Brave New Way to undermine womens' self-confidence in their ability to provide sustenance for their children.

Oh boy.  I can hardly wait.

Rachel Myr
with very jaundiced eyes, in Kristiansand, Norway