Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:23:27 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
With Janice's report about the change in nuance in how fortifier for breastmilk is being described by Prolacta, who just entered into distribution partnership with Abbot, a pharmaceutical and breastmilk substitute company, I think we can get ready for the onslaught as drug reps move into the marketing arena for breastmilk 'enhancers'.  It isn't enough we have to have surgery on our breasts to make them more satisfactory, now we have to augment our milk too.  What next?

Obviously the sales potential to the tiny babies who may actually need fortifier added to their mothers' milk *for a limited time* is piddling, compared to what one could achieve if one could convince neonatologists that breastmilk varies too much in content to be really reliable, so to ensure that the child will get proper nutrition, all babies should be supplemented with fortifier.  I can only hope neonatologists are more savvy than any other group of human beings to date and won't fall for this Brave New Way to undermine womens' self-confidence in their ability to provide sustenance for their children.

Oh boy.  I can hardly wait.

Rachel Myr
with very jaundiced eyes, in Kristiansand, Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2