From:
Judy Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:14:27 -0400
It's interesting that the aap study is for infants 1-6 months old. They're
different from newborn babies. Many newborns in the US are
sleepy/early/drugged. If you say "watch the baby," babies don't nurse. Not
nursing drives health care professionals (and parents) crazy, so they take
control. They think this baby will not become dehydrated/jaundiced on my
watch, when I am legally liable for his/her outcome. The mothers are
strangers to the staff, and society is very litigious. Mothers are not
confident, and advertising really weighs on them. Guilt for not being
perfect, instantly. Bottles give control, and perception of well being. At
least I can feed my baby, who I am now responsible for (today from 8am to
11 pm)and for the rest of my life!! If pumping is needed, it is often not
done frequently enough, either. Why don't most women know what to expect?
We know why it's not in the media. Parents demand definite numbers about
everything, so they can feel in control. How about "stages," like labor:
Birth, first hour, second night, fullness, let down, second week, ability
to bf in public, etc., till you get to that one month of age in the study.
There's a difference in planned out of hospital births: more trust, more
empowerment. Is Kay Hoover's "Log" out of style now?  Judy