From:
Heartlogic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 10:49:28 +1000
Hello everyone, my name is Carolyn Hastie and I'm a midwife and manager from
a new (commenced July 05) stand alone midwifery service to healthy
childbearing women.  I am also a lactation consultant and have been for 16
years.  Time goes fast when you are having fun!  We are part of the
(publically funded) Area Health Service and are in New South Wales,
Australia.  Women who access our service are allocated their own midwife who
follows them and accompanies them through their childbearing experience up
to and including three weeks post partum.  Once they are in established
labour, the women come to the birth rooms at our service to have their baby,
then go home a few hours after birth.

I have recently rejoined Lacnet and am appreciating the posts and wisdom
here.  There are a few posts I wanted to comment on and thought I would do
it in one and introduce myself at the same time.

I'm thinking of you, Pierrette and Joshua.  You too Kathy with your family
in Germany.

Pam,  I would appreciate information about the article relating to NDE of
the newborn. could you please let me know the reference?

If you have it as a text file and could send it to me, that would be
wonderful.

my email address is [log in to unmask] or work

The home email address would be better to send it as sometimes the health
department blocks attachments.

Lastly, but not least, the issue of women's breast oedema and engorgement is
distressing isn't it?  The women who access our service do not experience
this iatrogenic phenomenon.  The midwives are very focussed on
supporting/enhancing/facilitating mother/baby bonding/relationship and
interaction.  This means for us that mother/baby skin to skin and
unrestricted breast access and feeding are encouraged to ensure that the
breasts are stimulated physiologically and so milk genesis and production
ensues as it is meant to happen.  The women who accesss our service also do
not get the third/fourth day 'blues' either.   They are so well informed and
prepared for the newborn baby's behaviour and needs, plus their own
potential responses/reactions/feelings that they orchestrate their life to
incorporate new mothering behaviours/patterns in healthy, happy ways.

We just had a wonderful seminar here in our city last week and among the
speakers was the wonderful, erudite Thomas Hale; the stimulating and
engaging champion of skin to skin for babies and mothers,  Nils Bergman and
the fabulous, articulate advocate for breastfeeding and human milk,
Gabrielle Palmer.  Another speaker was Sandra Lang who I hadn't heard of
before. Sandra is a midwife and educator from the UK and she spoke
wonderfully about successfully breastfeeding premature babies.  It was a
great day.

I look forward to learning from all of you and contributing to discussions.
Thanks for all the sharing!

warmly, Carolyn Hastie