From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 07:32:19 EDT
Dear Dr. Wight,
Thank you for your reply.  The mom in question had a 31 week 1# 13 oz, SGA
baby.  Baby is 5 weeks old now and mom is only pumping 2 tsp. every 2 to 3
hrs.  She has really pumped her heart out with no results.  Now at 5 weeks she
is having a heavy menstrual period!
I have talked to her about the possibility of retained placenta, but her
doctor said that would have caused symptoms before now.  Could the heavy
bleeding at 5 weeks be retained placenta?  She denies any fever, pain, foul
smell of the blood.
Many thanks,
Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA

 There is no published research literature on the effectiveness or safety of
 fenugreek or blessed thistle with full term, let alone preterm infants.  I
 have used fenugreek for mom's in the NICU for over 10 years without any
 recognized adverse effects in either mom or infant (any gestational age).
 Remind MD that mom and milk may smell like maple syrup!  There IS published
 info re Reglan use in preterm infants (for GER) and use as a galactogogue for
 moms.  See my 2 referenced articles (parent and prof) in our web site
 www.breastfeeding.org.  I can understand your Neonatologist's reluctance to
 use a substance that is not "approved" for use in premies, and not
 standardized.  I have no experience with blessed thistle.
 Nancy Wight MD, FAAP, IBCLC
 San Diego CA >>