Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:16:41 +0530
<<For nearly 1.1 billion people in India, this is a pretty good video.

Breastfeeding is declining severely here.  Women who deliver in hospitals
are often separated from baby.  Many mothers I work with supplement formula
early and often because they are told by health care workers that their milk
is insufficient.  Starting the baby with a breast crawl is a good start in
boosting mother's confidence and, I believe, will help to increase
breastfeeding here in India.

Linda L Pohl, IBCLC, RLC>>

Thanks for that on the ground report from India, Linda.  Have you run into
the belief that the baby should not be fed the colostrum? Or, is that no
longer done?

After reading all the posts, I spent quite a bit of my day looking at video
tapes of homebirths (I have a lot) to see just exactly what the women do
when they have

-gentle arrival for baby

-cord left to pulse until placenta comes (usually exactly 30 mins postbirth)

-no shot of Pitocin

-no separation from infant

-no wiping down or swaddling

-privacy, darkness

While watching, it seemed to me that feeding didn't really start until about
an hour after birth, in most cases.  There's a lot of looking at each other
and baby being held in the crook of the left arm but not a lot of mouthing
of the breast or turning towards it until about an hour elapses.  Lots of
kissing the head, checking the genitals to make sure if it's a boy/girl,
affection between parents.  I don't know how I'd edit this stuff into a br
feeding film because they are all so different.  One film was a LLL leader,
and she puts the baby on her breast and then says to her friend (another LLL
mom) "whoops, that's a bad latch, ha ha"  Almost like her rational brain
kicked in to overcome instinct.  It was fun to look back at some of these
births from the feeding angle.  The birth is so dramatic that we usually
focus on filming that but now that my eyes are being opened about nuances of
feeding that I haven't noticed before, I'll be making video of more p.p.
time.

Gloria Lemay, Vancouver BC

www.consciouswoman.org