From:
Dawn Lanser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:28:26 EST
Dear Lactnetters:
I really get a chuckle from the conversations about helping a bottle-feeding
mom.  I teach Lamaze classes and I include infant feeding.  Bottle feeding
takes about 5 minutes.  Yes, they always ask which formula is best and which
nipples should they use.  I address proper positions and about never propping
a bottle.  I even talk about mixing it correctly.  What else do they want?  It
never fails that the bottle feeding parents always write on the evaluations
that more should be addressed pertaining to bottle feeding.  They feel shorted
because of the time we spend on breastfeeding.  Usually 1 1/2 hours.  I give
them the option to stay and learn or to go home early if they prefer.  I am
fortunate that my breastfeeding rates are over 90%.  I think that the bottle-
feeders feel outnumbered.  What to do, what to do?  Yes,  some say they do say
they 'feel' guilty, but they have  made their choice.  Any suggestions?  Thank
you for all of your great advice I have received over the past year while
reading Lactnet.

Dawn Lanser RN, BSN, LCCE, IBCLC
South Bend, IN (midwest usa)