From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:28:24 -0400
Carol wrote,
>of course, a mom was told here that she had to soak her nipples for
some
>ridiculous period of time (luckily, i forgot this detail) after EVERY
>feeding to get rid of a plugged duct. why? because the water would flow
up in the
>ducts and wash out the offending dried milk.

Could she have misunderstood? Perhaps she had been told to wash the
nipple and breast with warm water *before* every feeding. This, and
gentle massage, *does* (of course!) make it easier to get the milk
flowing while the baby is sucking. (Also good before pumping.) And if
the breast is tender from a plugged duct or mastitis, warm baths are
certainly not a bad idea at all. Sometimes moist heat is the most
soothing remedy.
This talk about whether to bathe and what to bathe in leaves me a bit
leary. Can't mothers just take care of themselves as best they can? It's
hard enough to find time for a bath or shower with a newborn. But if an
overwhelmed mother has a supportive spouse who looks after the baby when
she has a bubble bath, I'm not going to tell her that perfumed soap is
inappropriate. I prefer to encourage mothers to do what they want / need
to do. In most cases, our bodies will lead us in the right direction,
and mothers will not put anything that stings on sore nipples, and
therefore will stay away from most harsh soaps.
Jo-Anne