From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:21:37 -0800
I had a slow gainer in my practice that keeps coming to mind when I read
these posts. She started out as a small baby [at term] and took about 18
days to get back to birthweight, and then only gained about 2oz [60 grams] a
week for quite a while. Mom was older and she had 4 other kids [up to age 7]
and dad was a truck driver so he was away a day or two at a time and
couldn't always  help. Mom had breastfed all her other kids without a
problem. We ended up supplementing  for about 8 days to get her back up to
birthweight - about 3 days of 3oz total/24h; 2 days of 2oztotal/24h; and
about 3 days of an ounce/24h. Her latch was good, she was transferring milk,
she was having small poops frequently.

More of the story: Mom is small 5'2" or so, one of the other siblings is
small as well <5th percentile. This baby was an "Accomac" baby. No, that's
not a disease - that's the name of one of the fanciest restaurants in town.
The food is wonderful, but it's leisurely dining for sure. You get there at
6pm and maybe you'll get out by 9:30. She was a leisurely eater. Happy
relaxed baby, but she ate slowly. She just happened to be born into a family
with a "fast food" type schedule. Mom would go to nurse her on cue, but
would only get to nurse for 20-25 mins before mom would have to tend to one
of the 3 not in school.

What happened: As she got bigger she gradually gained more weight/week. I
think she got more efficient and the household got more used to her being
around. I had mom get a sling and I think that helped. She's a healthy 10
month old now, but she's still on the small side <10th percentile.

Just food for thought.
Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC