From:
Lorri Centineo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 07:55:15 -0500
 Heidi you wrote: >Yes, Sears' book is good, but anyone who reads Ezzo is
condidtioned
 >>against Sears and attachment parenting.  In _Preparation for Parenting_
Ezzo really bags
>>AP as being humanistic and producing little brats who whine, push children
off
>>swings, and steal.  So, trying to get an Ezzo parent to read Sears is
difficult.

Thankfully I haven't found this to be the rule here. The bent of the
instructor has much to do with the "conditioning" of the parents. The level
of self-esteem the parents possess going into the classes is also a major
factor in how much *takes*.

I find that most parents attending ANY parenting seminar are parents who are
truly concerned for their children.  Think of the hundreds of thousands of
parents who know or feel that whatever it is they're doing isn't working and
still don't seek answers or options.  The truth is that no published
parenting plan is complete, perfect, or expected to work for all children or
all families, not Ezzos' not Sears', nobody's.  Even many of the Ezzo
instructors caution parents to know their child and think, that not all
families will find everything in the program useful for their family. I do
personally know many many folks who have taken this course and very few of
them are so rigid as to not entertain other parenting programs/options as
well.

I've had few GKI seminar "grads" turn down my offer of a Sears' book loan.
Interestingly enough, many feel the couples advice up front in Sears' book
realistic and down to earth...attention-catching for a further read.

Many pastors are approachable when offered information that refutes only the
breastfeeding/health aspects of the early programs, the one that encompasses
the first two years of a child's life.  A degree in theology does not
include breastfeeding information. Sliding the AAP Policy Summary into
Sears' book and asking the pastor to take the time to compare the
breastfeeding information in either book with that of the information from
the AAP may make a difference in some cases, it has here a few times and at
least those church libraries have both on the shelves. If, indeed, the
pastor has a degree in theology, it won't take him long to see the
"holes"...they're pretty obvious.

Why is this so popular?  One of the reasons could be that not much of hte
actual parenting content is original.  Lots of ideas that have been used for
years in all sorts of parenting books, and som ethat have also been recently
revived by authors other than Ezzo.

It is interesting to note that several churches that have had Ezzo
seminars/classes also have the WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING in the nursery
and library ;o)  It happened in much the same way  that many of those
*awful* books get moved around in the book stores.

Lorri Centineo